Monday, August 3, 2009

GA Department of Revenue is Worthless

I just got off the phone with the GA Dept of Revenue concerning the return I filed for 2008. You see I sent my return "certified mail" as recommended by my tax software (yes, I do my own taxes) back in March!

They are currently working on April returns. Where is mine? So I called last week, and the woman told me to mail it again because they do not have it. I went to the Post Office to ask where it was. They give me the date, the time, the location, and the person who signed for it.

Now, I am irritated. So I call today. They say, oh, it is there and was just processed. What? So I ask why it takes so long for "certified mail" to get processed. Here is the answer (it is bull but here it is):

"Your return was sent to a P.O.Box to which no one can sign for it. So the Post Office has to go and find the physical address and then take it to us. That means it takes longer to process."

Are you serious? It takes five months for a certified piece of mail to get from my house (45 minutes away) to a processor? How lame is that? I can understand the P.O. Box bit, but I have a signed document that shows the GA Revenue office received the item three days after I mailed it! Don't give me crap that it takes longer - not five months longer!

This is our government efficiency at work. And our government really thinks it can run a health program and car manufacturing and our lives. Give me a break.

No comments: