Thursday, February 12, 2009

When My People

"When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:13-14 (NIV)

What happened to governing that appealed to the hope people have? By this I am talking about the times when Presidents or governors or other officials called on people to fast and pray. Look at history.

As a Christian, prayer and fasting help refocus my attention on what really matters.

Our President has spread doom and gloom instead of appealing to the hope that people have, he is saying trust the government. No wonder people have little hope and senselessly kill themselves and those around them. There is not any attempt in refocusing the hearts of people towards the real things that matter - life and love and peace.

We need hope, and faith has been one of the strongest bonds we have had as a nation. To bad so many are trying to rid us of religion, it erodes our hope.

God made it clear to Israel how they should respond to national depressions:
  • Remember to whom you belong
  • Remember humility (putting God and others before your own needs, but not neglecting yourself!)
  • Pray and seek God (pay attention to God's desire for the nation)
  • Turn from wicked ways or get rid of sin (our nation needs a very good cleaning)
After Israel did this simple act of love towards God, then God said He would:
  • Hear from heaven (God will take us seriously)
  • Forgive sin
  • Heal the land (God doesn't hold back from those He loves)
I am going to spend the next few days describing the best possible recovery plan. What do you think about the hope that comes through faith?

No comments: