Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Real Health Care Plan

If you haven't heard, there is a plan being presented by the American Medical Association (AMA). They have been placing ads throughout television. Visit www.voicefortheuninsured.org to see their proposal. You can also see a layout of their plan on this pdf - AMA Health Plan

My wife and I are having to change our health care plan again. It seems that our health care cronies have been swayed by two national companies. I am not complaining, because by God's grace we have an opportunity to receive health care coverage. Many people cannot.

So now we have to choose between the HRA (Health Reimbursement Account) which is a new kind of PPO, a HMO, or a standard PPO. There is one more which is a high deductible plan that also allows for an HSA. We are leaning towards the HRA.

The AMA plan brings my attention back to those who cannot afford or who do not understand how to get insurance (because it is so convoluted - my wife had me go to the insurance meeting because I understand it even though the insurance is offered through her employer). Last night both candidates had a chance to really step out and hit the nail on the head but I think both missed.

As Mike Huckabee has said this morning, we saw two Senators in the debate last night, not a president. A president has to come out and say this is where we are going, and then help lead the people that direction. Neither of the candidates have done this yet. Both are probably competent people but neither are connecting in a way that says - I am a presidential candidate.

While everyone is out stumping for their pick - I am waivering. I really want to vote for McCain because I do think much of Mr. Obama's plan could lead us into a more socialized form of government.

Why did Newt not run? Why were Republicans so adamant about supporting Mr. McCain over Mike Huckabee or even Mitt Romney? Mike Huckabee is a better communicator and I honestly believe he could have had a better showing in both debates.

Senator McCain needs to read his website and use the material there. His debate team needs to read his website and have a better compare and contrast / cause and effect sessions with him. I am glad for Rick Eddy, my Georgia history teacher in 8th grade, who used to make up tests with questions like "Compare and Contrast the Pros and Cons of the ....." or "Give the cause and effect of the ...." but I digress.

The debates have been a total failure, but that could be because the candidate negotiators for the debate are really tying the hands of the moderators (all so far lean liberal) with a bunch of stupid rules. Are they afraid that their candidate will actually be revealed?

Folks, don't worry about the market. It will recover. Keep your heads held high and help one another. Let's be Americans! Pay off your consumer debt and stop creating more. And that's my soapbox for today.

No comments: