Friday, September 19, 2008

The Medal of Honor

I just watched a report online about a young Marine sergeant who after being shot grasped a grenade that been thrown amongst his peers and smothered it which ensured his death.

He was awarded the Navy Cross, not the Medal of Honor. Why? Supposedly the military says he was dead from being shot and he had a reflex that raked the grenade under him. Say what? I have seen such reflexes in bugs I have killed, but never heard of them in humans.

Besides, how does someone's death reflex just happen to coral a grenade and save the lives of those around him?

Before I get too judgmental, I do not know all of the facts. But if the Marines that were with him believe that what he did was a conscious effort to save their lives by giving his, I would have to go with those who were there.

Again, I do not know how many interviews were done about the subject or how things unfolded. All I know is that a young Marine did his job. Having spent six years as a military policeman, I will say job well done, Sgt. Rafael Peralta.

Let's not forget our soldiers. They are still in harm's way, and as we can see from the vicious attack on our embassy in Yemen, the danger is still real.


No comments: