Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering 9/11


As I have been watching the replays of the events on September 11, 2001, I am taken back the where I was at that moment.

I was working as a bookkeeper in an elementary school. The morning had been just a regular day until a woman came into the office and said a plane had hit the World Trade Center. My first thoughts were not of terrorism but of envisioning an airplane sticking half in and half out of a skyscraper.

I quickly turned on the FoxNews channel and began watching the footage. Within two minutes, I saw the second plane hit. The news anchor had thought momentarily that they were watching a replay of footage but then he also came to the same realization that a second plane had hit.

My thoughts went from how a plane could hit the towers to "Holy Cow! We are under attack!"

Everything changed that day for all of those who experienced it from a long distance to those who were there in the midst. I do not know where you were on that fateful day, but I will always remember where I was.

I think back now on those who have memories of other tragic events in history: Reagen getting shot, Kennedy being assassinated, Pearl Harbor, and numerous others. These events trigger memories and fears among all of us, yet our nation continues to roll on. Our resilience has lasted many generations, and with hope and faith, it shall last either thousands more or until Jesus returns.

I hope we will continue to remember those who died and those who are surviving. I hope we also are vigilant that our nation has yet to pass from this threat, and our military is still in harm's way. Let us remain resolute in our commitment to see this battle ended.

By God's grace we are still a nation that has a chance to spread hope, love, and peace throughout the world. Therefore, I pray for God's blessing upon us today.

No comments: