Monday, June 9, 2008

2 Things

The DOW dropped almost 400 points this past Friday. Oil reached a new record high per barrel. Unemployment levels increased. People are becoming more worried and stressed about their futures.

The Democrats in Congress are coming to the rescue. They have decided to sponsor two different bills that will cause a rise in the prices at the gas pump and in home energy costs. One bill goes after those "evil" businessmen who are making money. The other is a ill-conceived bill to reduce greenhouse gases.

Go Democrats, go!

As I have said in the past, I am by no means against protecting our environment. It is our God given responsibility. I am against ideas that have not been thought through, especially during an election year when Congress is using these bills to trick and mislead their constituents.

So here again I emphasize two ideas that are better alternatives than the political junk that comes out of a Washington without a clue.

  1. The FairTax. Taxes should never be used to manipulate votes and yet that is all we are hearing from politicians. One wants to tax some higher. The other wants to reduce taxes. Why not equalize the playing field and take taxes off the bargaining table and give REAL HELP to the citizens of the United States.
  2. Drill in Alaska and off the coasts of the Eastern US. I know environmentalist balk at this idea. I understand the concerns. But are the concerns verified? Are they legit? Is there any evidence that shows that drilling in Alsaka will be a natural disaster? I do see that it will open up supply which according to my economics classes will help to drive down costs. I think it is called supply and demand.
I was interested in how much people pay for gas in places like Egypt and Saudi Arabia. One paid .12 per gallon. The other paid .42 per gallon. Why is that? Because they have their own supply. Brazil just become energy independent. Why? Because they decided to take a chance see if there was any oil off their coast.

I saw a report on one of my local news stations that even shows how Kudzu which grows at a rate of sixty feet per year can be used to produce ethanol: Kudzu Could be Key to Solving Gas Crisis

Why not pick one problem at a time and fix them. That's right, I forgot. If the problems are fixed, the politicians will not have anything to run on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, David!

Learn more and join the national grassroots movement of Citizens demanding the Fair Tax; click on my name.